Skip to main content

Glory Through Suffering, Psalm 22



Glory Through Suffering


Psalm 22; Remsen Bible Online; 04/10/2020





Good evening, loved ones. On this evening, which we traditionally call Good Friday, I want to open with a simple question: how can the day when we remember Jesus’ crucifixion be, in any sense, Good? For our answer, I would direct your attention to Psalm 22.





Psalm 22 was written by King David during a time of extreme duress in his life. While it obviously had application directly in his day, Christians ever since the time of Jesus-including Jesus on the cross-have recognized the ultimate fulfillment of this Psalm in the Son of David, Jesus, the Christ. This won’t be my normal sermon style. What I’ve done is broken Psalm 22 into chunks, and interlaced those sections with New Testament quotations. I won’t read the reference after each quotation as I normally would (if you want a full list I’ll post those on the church blog and put that link in the video notes). My aim for this good Friday teaching is to simply allow the weight of what Jesus did for us to lay heavy, and then to see the glory of what he accomplished.





We will close by reading Psalm 22 straight through, hopefully with a new appreciation for why Jesus quotes from this particular Psalm from the cross.





1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?


Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning?


2 O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer,


and by night, but I find no rest.





34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?” which means, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Mk 15:34).





3 Yet you are holy,


enthroned on the praises of Israel.


4 In you our fathers trusted;


they trusted, and you delivered them.


5 To you they cried and were rescued;


in you they trusted and were not put to shame.





27 “Now is my soul troubled. And what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? But for this purpose I have come to this hour. 28 Father, glorify your name.” Then a voice came from heaven: “I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again.” (Jn 12:27–28).





6 But I am a worm and not a man,


scorned by mankind and despised by the people.


7 All who see me mock me;


they make mouths at me; they wag their heads;


8 “He trusts in the LORD; let him deliver him;


let him rescue him, for he delights in him!”





35 And the people stood by, watching, but the rulers scoffed at him, saying, “He saved others; let him save himself, if he is the Christ of God, his Chosen One!” 36 The soldiers also mocked him, coming up and offering him sour wine 37 and saying, “If you are the King of the Jews, save yourself!” (Lk 23:35–37).





9 Yet you are he who took me from the womb;


you made me trust you at my mother’s breasts.


10 On you was I cast from my birth,


and from my mother’s womb you have been my God.


11 Be not far from me,


for trouble is near,


and there is none to help.





21 Now when all the people were baptized, and when Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, the heavens were opened, 22 and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form, like a dove; and a voice came from heaven, “You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.” (Lk 3:21–22).





And after six days Jesus took with him Peter and James, and John his brother, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. 2 And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became white as light. 3 And behold, there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him. 4 And Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good that we are here. If you wish, I will make three tents here, one for you and one for Moses and one for Elijah.” 5 He was still speaking when, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him.” (Mt 17:1–5).





41 And he withdrew from them about a stone’s throw, and knelt down and prayed, 42 saying, “Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.” 43 And there appeared to him an angel from heaven, strengthening him. 44 And being in agony he prayed more earnestly; and his sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground. (Lk 22:41–44).





12 Many bulls encompass me;


strong bulls of Bashan surround me;


13 they open wide their mouths at me,


like a ravening and roaring lion.





3 So Judas, having procured a band of soldiers and some officers from the chief priests and the Pharisees, went there with lanterns and torches and weapons. (Jn 18:2–3).





12 So the band of soldiers and their captain and the officers of the Jews arrested Jesus and bound him. (Jn 18:12).





Then Pilate took Jesus and flogged him. 2 And the soldiers twisted together a crown of thorns and put it on his head and arrayed him in a purple robe. 3 They came up to him, saying, “Hail, King of the Jews!” and struck him with their hands. (Jn 19:1–3).





14 I am poured out like water,


and all my bones are out of joint;


my heart is like wax;


it is melted within my breast;


15 my strength is dried up like a potsherd,


and my tongue sticks to my jaws;


you lay me in the dust of death.





28 After this, Jesus, knowing that all was now finished, said (to fulfill the Scripture), “I thirst.” 29 A jar full of sour wine stood there, so they put a sponge full of the sour wine on a hyssop branch and held it to his mouth. (Jn 19:28–29).





16 For dogs encompass me;


a company of evildoers encircles me;


they have pierced my hands and feet—


17 I can count all my bones—


they stare and gloat over me;


18 they divide my garments among them,


and for my clothing they cast lots.





32 Two others, who were criminals, were led away to be put to death with him. 33 And when they came to the place that is called The Skull, there they crucified him, and the criminals, one on his right and one on his left. 34 And Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” And they cast lots to divide his garments...39 One of the criminals who were hanged railed at him, saying, “Are you not the Christ? Save yourself and us!” (Lk 23:32–34, 39).





And with him they crucified two robbers, one on his right and one on his left. 29 And those who passed by derided him, wagging their heads and saying, “Aha! You who would destroy the temple and rebuild it in three days, 30 save yourself, and come down from the cross!” (Mk 15:27–30)





19 But you, O LORD, do not be far off!


O you my help, come quickly to my aid!


20 Deliver my soul from the sword,


my precious life from the power of the dog!


21 Save me from the mouth of the lion!


You have rescued me from the horns of the wild oxen!





44 It was now about the sixth hour, and there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour, 45 while the sun’s light failed. And the curtain of the temple was torn in two. 46 Then Jesus, calling out with a loud voice, said, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!” And having said this he breathed his last. (Lk 23:44–46).





22 I will tell of your name to my brothers;


in the midst of the congregation I will praise you:


23 You who fear the LORD, praise him!


All you offspring of Jacob, glorify him,


and stand in awe of him, all you offspring of Israel!


24 For he has not despised or abhorred


the affliction of the afflicted,


and he has not hidden his face from him,


but has heard, when he cried to him.





10 For it was fitting that he, for whom and by whom all things exist, in bringing many sons to glory, should make the founder of their salvation perfect through suffering. 11 For he who sanctifies and those who are sanctified all have one source. That is why he is not ashamed to call them brothers, 12 saying,


“I will tell of your name to my brothers;


in the midst of the congregation I will sing your praise.”


13 And again,


“I will put my trust in him.”


And again,


“Behold, I and the children God has given me.”


14 Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, 15 and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery. (Heb 2:10–15).





25 From you comes my praise in the great congregation;


my vows I will perform before those who fear him.


26 The afflicted shall eat and be satisfied;


those who seek him shall praise the LORD!


May your hearts live forever!





6 Then I heard what seemed to be the voice of a great multitude, like the roar of many waters and like the sound of mighty peals of thunder, crying out,


“Hallelujah!


For the Lord our God


the Almighty reigns.


7 Let us rejoice and exult


and give him the glory,


for the marriage of the Lamb has come,


and his Bride has made herself ready;


8 it was granted her to clothe herself


with fine linen, bright and pure”—


for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints.


9 And the angel said to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.” And he said to me, “These are the true words of God.” (Re 19:6–9).





27 All the ends of the earth shall remember


and turn to the LORD,


and all the families of the nations


shall worship before you.


28 For kingship belongs to the LORD,


and he rules over the nations.





“Worthy are you to take the scroll


and to open its seals,


for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God


from every tribe and language and people and nation,


10 and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God,


and they shall reign on the earth.”


11 Then I looked, and I heard around the throne and the living creatures and the elders the voice of many angels, numbering myriads of myriads and thousands of thousands, 12 saying with a loud voice,


“Worthy is the Lamb who was slain,


to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might


and honor and glory and blessing!”


13 And I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, and all that is in them, saying,


“To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb


be blessing and honor and glory and might forever and ever!” (Re 5:9–13).





29 All the prosperous of the earth eat and worship;


before him shall bow all who go down to the dust,


even the one who could not keep himself alive.


30 Posterity shall serve him;


it shall be told of the Lord to the coming generation;


31 they shall come and proclaim his righteousness to a people yet unborn,


that he has done it.





5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, 6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. 9 Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. (Php 2:5–11).





Read Psalm 22.




Jesus is God. But he is also the Savior. He became Savior by becoming a human being, taking on a mortal body, and laying that body down for you. Absorbing the all-consuming wrath of God due to you. He was forsaken, that we might be loved. He now reigns in glory, that we might have hope. That glory came through suffering. So why is Good Friday good? Because on that day the perfect Lamb of God was slain, that you might have life. Trust in Him, receive this gift.

Popular posts from this blog

Brief Reflections on our Statement of Faith: #4 The Holy Spirit

Article 4. – The Holy Spirit. We believe that the Holy Spirit, the third Person of the Trinity, omnipresent from all eternity, took up His abode in the world in a special sense on the day of Pentecost. He dwells in every believer, and by His baptism unites all believers into the body of Christ. As the Indwelling One, He is the source of power for all acceptable service and worship (John 14:16-17; 16:7-15; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20; Ephesians 2:22; 1 Thessalonians 2:7). We believe that the Holy Spirit is involved in various ministries. He restrains evil; convicts the world; regenerates, indwells, and anoints all who are saved, sealing believers unto the day of redemption. We also believe that the Holy Spirit will teach, guide, and enable those believers who are yielded to Him and walking in obedience to the Word (John 3:6; 16:7-16; Romans 8:9; 1 Corinthians 12:13; Ephesians 4:30; 5:18; 2 Thessalonians 2:7; 1 John 2:20-27). We believe that divine enabling gifts for service are bestowe

Sermon: Jesus and Judgement, John 7:53-8:11

Jesus and Judgement? John 7:53-8:11 Remsen Bible Fellowship, 08/25/19 Intro:  Do you know what it’s like to feel desperate? Like you’re in dire need of someone to rescue you from your situation? Perhaps it’s a situation for which you are responsible: you’ve made a big mistake at work; or at home you’ve overspent your budget and an unexpected bill hits; perhaps you’ve lied to a friend and now they’ve found out. Desperate situations come in all shapes and sizes, sometimes of our own making, sometimes not. We are going to meet a woman in our passage this morning who is in a very desperate situation. A woman needing rescue.  Read: John 7:53-8:11 1: Difficulties and Approach  Before we dive into the text itself, we need to address the oddity of what we find in our Bibles here. If you’re looking at a bible in your lap or on your phone, you’ll see that these verses are either placed in brackets, or even relegated to a footnote. Then there is bracketed explanation saying tha

Brief Reflections on our Statement of Faith: #2 The Godhead

Article 2. – The Godhead. We believe there is one God, existing eternally in three persons; God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. These three persons are coequal in nature, attributes and in every perfection (Deuteronomy 6:4; Psalm 110:1-4; Isaiah 48:16; Matthew 3:16-17; 28:18-20; John 1:1-18; 6:37; Acts 5:3-4; 2 Corinthians 13:14; Ephesians 4:6; Hebrews 1:8). In our very brief statement on the Godhead, we are seeking in very brief terms to describe the classic Christian doctrine of the Trinity. To state it another way, God is three persons Each Person is truly God There is one God This three-in-one and one-in-three understanding of God's being is unique to Christianity. We don't believe in multiple gods, unlike, for example, Mormons or Hindus. But neither do we believe God to be a singular person, as Jews or Muslims do.  There are a number of reasons this is significant, but I will touch on one. in 1 John 4:8 we read that, "God is love.&quo